Tuesday, June 12, 2007

New Direction

I just sent out some poems to be considered for a journal. I have done this many, many times, mostly to find them rejected. I don't have my hopes up for this batch either, but in sending them off I have begun to consider a new direction for my writing. Perhaps because I am doing research on fairy tales, myths, and fantasy for my dissertation, I have been thinking a lot about writing a collection of poems for children. I don't have kids myself, but I am a long-time nanny (it's fun and good money) in addition to my teaching duties.
I have only started mulling over a few ideas, but I have that flutter in the pit of my stomach that I know means I'm on the verge of starting an exciting project. I also have a list of "to-dos" for the summer, and it includes learning drypoint (a type of etching -- see below). I think some small illustrations to go with the poems would be interesting....














Drypoint example: Kevin Cornell (
www.bearskinrug.co.uk)

1 comment:

Dr Hiding Pup said...

So pleased for you that you've started fluttering! Well done!