There once was a girl with long hair
Who cut it all off on a dare.
It was twelve inches long,
But now it’s all gone –
Her head feels exceedingly bare!
Morning regression
Cutting away a year’s growth
Straw blonde waterfall
I did, in fact, cut 12 inches of my hair off yesterday, but it wasn’t on a dare (poetic license!). I decided to donate my hair to a foundation that makes wigs for kids with diseases that cause them to lose their hair. You can read about the program here. I am adjusting to the cut, and I do go back and forth between laughing about it (limerick) and feeling a little regret (haiku).
Also on my list was to do a new set of Polaroid transfers (see my original ones here). I shot 1/2 a roll of 35 mm slides of rural Georgia grave sites (some of the headstones are hand carved!). I'm working on setting up a series of animal skulls to finish out the roll, and then I'm going to print them on watercolor paper.
Finally, I am trying to work on drawing. My husband Jym, an art professor, has been helping me a lot with this. Below is one I completed of a rabbit. Keep in mind, I've only had one real art class and that was almost 10 years ago!
Hopefully my blogging will continue as the semester grows nearer. I can only imagine that I will be horribly busy with five classes to teach (yes, the triumph of getting hired is already wearing off as I face scheduling, creating syllabi, textbook orders -- i.e. reality; but I am still grateful for the job!).
2 comments:
That's a really lovely rabbit! And, yes, you simply mustn't turn into one of those annoyingly scowl-y academics who seem incapable of anything other than moaning and unadulterated misery :-)
I actually had no idea you were actively writing your dissertation - what's it on?
Thanks! One would assume I would be writing the diss. on poetry, but I'm actually writing on 19th-century fantasy novels. I am looking at the influence of Romantic philosophy on the development of fantasy novels, and also how fantasy influences the realist tradition. I am currently laboring over a chapter on Coleridge and the "willing suspension of disbelief...." I have been trying to finish up for about two weeks now but keep coming across more and more articles on Coleridge. It's endless!
Post a Comment