I'm not sure how I feel about online learning, which is one of the reasons I decided to try this out. My university encourages teachers to try online pedagogy, and I don't want to get left behind if that's what I will be expected to do at this job. But I actually love being in the classroom. I am a goofy, passionate teacher that thrives on reading aloud, ad-libbing my lectures, and student discussions. I don't know how I will translate this approach to an online environment where, for now, my lectures are written into prose. I'm trying to figure out how to balance my online ethos (am I sounding too harsh? Should I use more "smileys" to soften my tone?). I'm also wondering if learning literature online is really the best for students. I don't know that reading in isolation and just posting to discussion boards can open up the text for them in the way a synchronous class discussion does.
For now, I'm thinking of this as an experiment that will give me some benefits in the Fall. One of the best incentives, since I teach five classes, is that I won't have to have back-to-back lectures all day. The online world will at least give me some much needed breathing room. From there, I'll just have to see how it goes!
2 comments:
Instead of writing up your lectures, how about video podcasting them? In for a penny, in for a pound as they say over here! Videos, links, forums, blogs ... could be fun?
wow, you are a brave, brave woman. i tremble at the thought of teaching online. even the one online component i have to my class just feels awkward to me whenever i face student writing.
on the other hand, i'm sure you can pull it off. i think the most important elements that go into an online class are the instructor's writing (both clear and abundant) and comfort with technology.
do you think it could possibly mean more work in the long run--writing out your lectures in paragraph form?
Post a Comment