Saturday, March 15, 2008

Surviving the Storm

We spent most of the day either in the basement or watching the news as thunderstorms, hail, and tornadoes ripped through Atlanta and the surrounding area. A lot of damage happened in the metro area, including severe destruction to conference centers and part of the Georgia Dome. We are very fortunate that our neighborhood only had small hail and heavy rain. Just east of us the tornado touched down, and people reported 4" hail (baseball size)!

It was definitely a scary day, especially when the tornado sirens kept going off (three times throughout the day). I've just been watching the news this evening and am in awe of the destruction -- houses leveled, trees smashed into cars and cutting them in two, glass flying off skyscrapers in huge chunks...I could go on. This all started last night at 9:30 or so and went all night and all day today, so I am just hopeful that we can sleep tonight feeling blessed and thankful that we still have a roof on our home. There are many less fortunate people in the area right now.

No comments: